List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: read_all duplicates messages
From:       RW <rwmaillists () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2017-06-02 16:12:15

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 15:31:29 +0100
Charlie Turner wrote:

> Clearly I have tried it and it wasn't working out for me, hence
> subscribing to the mailing list for some help. :)

It thought I'd explained this. Running getmail with the default value of
"read_all=false" does exactly what you want. getmail fetches a list of
message identifiers from the server and compares it with the list of
retrieved messages stored under ~/.getmail

"read_all=true" is used with delete_after and so doesn't update the
list because the list is not needed.

> I tried fetchmail instead, and it does what I expect.

Check that it actually does. The fetchmail manual page may be inadequate
or out of date, but if it's correct it doesn't do what you want.

Under the definition  of the --all option, it says that the default
(without --all) "is to fetch only messages the server has not marked
seen". This would mean that fetchmail would skip any new mail that had
been read from webmail or IMAP.

There is mention of tracking newness by uidl but it says that this
only works with POP3.