List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: Getmail downloads mails every time when invoked via cron
From:       Bernd Kruse <bernd.kruse () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-07-25 22:46:23

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 10:14 PM, Charles Cazabon
<search-web-for-address@pyropus.ca> wrote:
> These differences (whether HOME is set correctly, what PATH is set to, etc)
> can result in the wrong program being called, or the program using a different
> configuration file than the one you think it should.  You can try to eliminate
> these possibilities by finding and deleting any other executables on your
> system named getmail (i.e. left over from an old install in a different
> location) and all other files named the same as your rc file.

Thanks, Charles. I feel kinda stupid. Apparently there was getmail
installed in /usr/bin/ and also in /usr/local/bin/. Strangely enough
both executables claimed to be 4.48 but the one in /usr/bin/ had a
time stamp from 2013 so I doubt that ...
Anyway, I followed your suggestion and removed the /usr/bin/ one and
everything's back to normal.

Again, sorry for wasting your time. And again, thanks for answering so
politely and guiding me to a solution.

--Bernd