List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: Multi destination fails if one destination fails (quota exceeded) + dovecot + MDA_external
From:       Marcos Wolff <wmarcos () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-01-04 0:13:23

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Charles Cazabon <
search-web-for-address@pyropus.ca> wrote:

> Marcos Wolff <wmarcos@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > This is how it's supposed to work.  If any of the sub-deliveries fail,
> the
> > > delivery as a whole is considered failed
> > >
> > well, this doesn't actually happen in my configuration
>
> Oops; it's supposed to.
>
> > The problem is sometimes users go on holidays , and their mailboxes stay
> > full for many days, for example, two weeks or more..
> >
> > As the mail gets retrieved from an external account to many internal
> ones;
> > then their colleagues stop receiving mail because one of them is
> returning
> > a user quota error.
>
> Looking at your configuration, I'm not sure what you're trying to
> accomplish.
> Someone writes to calidad@example.com.ar, you retrieve it, and you
> deliver the
> same message to 3 different people... and you don't particularly care if
> some
> of them don't actually get the message, just as long as at least 1 does.
> Something like having a pool of people answering questions sent to one
> contact
> address maybe?  Is that the intent?

Exactly, you said it much more clearly than I did: at least one of the
aliases has to receive that external mail (they never go on vacation at the
same time) as long as some of them get a copy and can answer it's ok (it
would be great if I could retrieve and save all copies that each alias
receive without a quota, but it would fill the server's hard disk in a
month or less). Anyway external email never gets deleted from the gmail
account so users can check externally if they need to.

> If so, it sounds like you're doing something more MTA-like (like
> traditional
> sendmail /etc/aliases, qmail's fastforward, or Postfix's vmap
> functionality).

The problem with postfix vmap is that if some internal user has exceed
quota it bounces back to the (external) sender, a warning email. And the
external users don't even know internal accounts exists. As far as the know
all mail is answered from the external account. So they call to say the
their emails are getting rejected :S. If I could be able to change that
behaviour only for mails that are retrieved from getmail, everything would
be solved, it would have to fail silently.

> I would strongly hesitate to recommend running and MTA and handing
> retrieved
> messages off to it, because if you knew enough to do that safely, you
> wouldn't
> need me to suggest it ;)

Hehe.. yes I'm kind of new with email problems, I'm approaching it with
more common sense than knowledge

> A filtering MDA like maildrop may allow you to accomplish what you want;
> you
> tell getmail to deliver via MDA_external, and have the maildrop recipe say
> deliver to each of these 3 destinations, exiting error only if all 3 fail.
> can't provide specifics on how to configure maildrop to do this, but the
> maildrop/Courier lists probably can.

mm.. ok, I will find out more about maildrop. Right now I'm generating
getmail's configuration files from postfix alias database with php and
leaving out those users that has exceeded the quota, so getmail don't even
try to deliver unless there's space left in the mailbox. The only solution
I could find for now

Thanks Charles!!