List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: getmail chokes with Message() called with wrong arguments
From:       David Damerell <damerell () chiark ! greenend ! org ! uk>
Date:       2010-11-04 17:34:29

On , 3 Nov 2010, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > I've found two messages in my IMAP INBOX that cause getmail to choke
> > with:
> > Message() called with wrong arguments
> Odd.  Is the server by chance MS Exchange?

No, thankfully. I don't know what it is (bah), and I'll bet it has
some kludges specific to the organisation that runs it, but it's not
Exchange.

> If you'd care to try to confirm this, I'll attach a patch to this message;
> once applied, it'll catch the situation I'm talking about and at least stuff
> something into your mailbox rather than dying.

I have done so and will let you know if anything happens.

> > From: HKIRC<marketing@hkirc.hk>
> > Of course a From line with no whitespace at all is rather unusual and
> > I wonder if these facts might be related.
> That shouldn't cause a problem.

Unfortunately when this struck yesterday I was in a tearing hurry and
couldn't investigate properly. That meant I ended up going in talking
IMAP manually to delete the offending message (and then found there
was another one and did it again) without thinking to retain the
headers - I just happened to notice that From line. If it happens
again I'll supply full headers of the offending message.

However, when all the excitement had gone, I found a few messages from
a month ago in my email client as if they were new (unfortunately the
headers are littered with identifying information but I append a few,
expurgated, below) - I use "delete_after=30" so they would still have
been around to be recollected, and indeed they seem to be about old
enough to be messages that should have been deleted.  Surely these
must be connected to the other issue?

Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 06:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

mailserver.example.com is the machine to which I do IMAP.

--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
And now, a seemingly inexplicable shot of a passing train.