List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: Possible documentation error
From:       Roland Hill <rolandh () vodafone ! co ! nz>
Date:       2009-08-10 8:59:11

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 or thereabouts, Charles Cazabon came forth with:

> Roland Hill <rolandh@vodafone.co.nz> wrote:

> > In reading the header addresses that MultiGuesser looks for I thought the
> > only available address in the above header would be the 'To:' address,
> > that is: nzlug@linux.net.nz.

> No.  MultiGuesser first looks for Delivered-To: headers, but the only one in
> that message is the one getmail inserts during delivery.  So getmail would
> then (as the docs say) check for Envelope-To: headers, and voila, there is
> one:

> So MultiGuesser now thinks it has the envelope recipient, and stops there.  It
> then compares that address against your "locals" list.  None of them match, so
> it should have been delivered through your "default" delivery instruction.

> Is that what happened?

That is indeed what has happened.

I think I had preconceived ideas on how it worked despite reading the documents.

I *assumed* that it would cascade through the headers looking to match my address
with any of the defined envelope recipient 'types' (Delivered-To: etc).
This is opposite to how it actually works.

What I could do is try to find a recipient type that would be unique to
the list messages (for example: X-BeenThere:) and edit the destinations.py file.

It would obviously be up to me to maintain this 'patch', but it might be a
good *little* learning exercise for me.

Or I could just keep my MDA setup....... :-)

--
Regards,

Roland

PGP Key 0xDA39319B = BCF0 1214 BAE9 5A3D 46FC 21A6 360D 9398 DA39 319B