List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: Bug?  Unable to parse message therefore no envelope_recipient
From:       Charles Cazabon <getmaillist () discworld ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2004-10-08 14:28:13

Harry Wearne <hw@daptech.co.uk> wrote:

> I believe that I have found a bug in getmail 4.2.0:
>
> When attempting to retrieve mail from a multi-drop POP3 box, if a message
> is constructed so badly that it cannot be parsed by getmail then (as I
> understand it from earlier messages to the list) getmail generates a basic
> email outline and plonks the contents of the downloaded message into it
> and then processes that constructed email.  This works fine when the
> simple POP3 retriever is used.  However when the MultidropPOP3Retriever is
> being used the constructed email lacks the envelope_recipient field (in my
> case, X-Envelope-To) and so getmail stops.

Yes, that's possible.  Yes, I'd also consider that a bug.  Obviously the
broken message container needs to create a value for a false envelope
recipient address, like the empty string -- which is not exactly an expected
value.  It's yet another thing I don't like regarding how the email module can
fail to parse a message.

I'll implement this and release it as 4.2.1.  If you can't wait, using a
Python 2.4 alpha would probably fix this as well, becase the email module is
supposed to stop raising these exceptions.

Thanks for reporting this.

Charles