List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: domain mailboxes question - mark as read
From:       ppsp <ppsp () quick ! cz>
Date:       2003-12-02 21:32:30

Charles Cazabon wrote:

> > > Sorry, getmail cannot do this.  If getmail retrieves a message, it has to
> > > deliver it to somewhere or it considers it an error.  Your particular
> > > problem is so unique I can't even picture anyone else ever needing such a
> > > feature, either.
> > >
> > > I think the problem is your company's mail setup is simply not very well
> > > thought out; you should put your efforts into getting that fixed instead
> > > of trying to work around the problem.
> >
> > You are right, company is at three different not connected locations. One
> > part which has permanent access to internet is using leased line from one
> > big company and they are behind their FW and NAT and at second a third
> > location they don't need full access to internet. Full access is not so
> > cheep here (in Czech), so they don't want just waste money for something
> > they don't need. That was the reason why I am trying to find some software
> > solution for them. And as you can see I wasn't successful so far.
>

> Is the company running its own domain mailbox for the remote sites?  I don't
> quite follow.

Domain mailbox is located at ISP and and managing of it is under ISP control.

> It looks like you could simply have the "main site" pull mail
> from the external host's domain mailbox and put all mail into individual
> users' maildirs.  The two smaller sites then would simply have it's own pop
> service which was populated by a getmail retrieving mail once or twice a day
> into those mailboxes.

 I can't do that because "main site" isn't visible and accessible from public \
internet (it's behind NAT and quite restrictive FW that are beyond companies \
control). I could setup pop servis there but they couldn't connect to it from \
outside.  Only solution I see right now is try to convince them to run small mail \
server at one of smaller site and buy internet connection without any limitations. \
And other sites would pull mails from it.

Pavel