List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: GETMAIL WITH MAILDROP QUESTIONS
From:       "Caram Bola" <Caram.Bola () comcast ! net>
Date:       2003-02-24 0:29:14

> Caram Bola <Caram.Bola@comcast.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Read about "delivery mode" and the "-d" option in "man maildrop".
> >
> > Did that.  No help in my case.
> >
> > I am trying to use maildrop to sort and deliver (the way getmail
> > used to) domain mail from a provider that does not add local
> > delivery headers filtering only the "To:" header.
>
> Why not continue to use getmail v.2.3.11, then?
>
> Charles

Because to quote getmail's author's assertion from a previous post:

	"If you want getmail 2's behaviour, keep using v.2.  v.3 is
	different,and better."

I, of course, concur with the author.

The reality is that unless you go with a proprietary solution, the
name of the game is either fetchmail or getmail.  I started with
fetchmail and encountered a lot of problems (spawning zombie
offspring by the hundreds to name the most egregious example).
looked for a substitute and found getmail by accident (when it was
little known and not that popular).  Have been satisfied ever since.

I figure if the author thinks that the latest and greatest is
"better" I do as well.

I'm sure that I'll figure a way to chown the messages back to the
users in due course.  The "qail" script from qmail looks promising.
In fact, I modified a version of it (that invoked the qmail
maildir2mbox binary) and used it from the time that getmail stopped
supporting mbox deliveries until I converted all my mboxes to
Maildirs.  It actually worked rather well.

Best regards.

Caram