List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: Bug about msglog in getmail.py
From:       Charles Cazabon <getmaillist () discworld ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2002-03-04 19:01:35

Charles Jie <chjie@keya.com.tw> wrote:

> *	msglog (INFO, 'command "%s" said "%s"' % (command, out),
> 	    self.opts)

You're correct; this is a copy & paste error.  It's fixed in my tree and will
be in the next release of getmail.  In the meantime, the only way to hit this
problem is while using an arbitrary external MDA that writes to stdout.

> In addition, there is problem with message_log file, though not serious.
[...]
>     04_Mar_2002_21:00:03 getmail started for chjiex@mail.taipeilink.net:110
> *   04_Mar_2002_21:00:03 getmail finished for keya@edirect168.com:110

> In the marked lines, the 'finished' message is delayed and doesn't
> appear until the 'started' message of next session shows up. i.e. these
> two lines are swapped.

This is a side effect of the way Python implements automatic garbage
collection, because the "finished" log line is logged when the object in
question is destroyed -- and Python doesn't destroy it until sometime after
the last reference to it goes away.

It's not a problem or a bug.  The simplified main() code in my tree may change
this behaviour, but it may not.

Charles