List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: Subtle problems with the new header-parsing
From:       Charles Cazabon <getmaillist () discworld ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2002-02-28 13:53:57

Martin Geisler <gimpster@gimpster.com> wrote:

> > "It" crashed?  Which "it"?  TMDA, or getmail?
>
> TMDA crashed, complaining that the SENDER wasn't set.

Well, there's a difference between it crashing (bad description in Python --
it's really an unhandled exception) and it printing an error message.  You
seem to mean the former -- but in any case, it's a bug in TMDA, as it should
handle all the exceptions that can occur.

> I see. But TMDA is designed to exit with an exit-code of 75 if
> something is wrong, including the lack of a SENDER variable.

But it didn't do this.

> Doesn't this mean that the message was delivered to TMDA exactly once?

Yes.

> I know - that's why this situation is so strange: TMDA crashes with
> this traceback:
>
> Uncaught Python 2.1.2 exception (Thu Feb 28 08:23:18 2002 UTC):
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/tmda-filter", line 31, in ?
>     execfile(os.path.join(execdir, 'tmda-rfilter'))
>   File "/usr/bin/tmda-rfilter", line 153, in ?
>     raise Errors.MissingEnvironmentVariable('SENDER')
> MissingEnvironmentVariable

You should report this to the TMDA list or author.

> There's no doubt that it's TMDA which crashes and produces the
> tracebacks. The strange thing is, that this happens without getmail
> noticing it.

I can tell you why, now, having seen the above:  TMDA has a default exception
handler that actually prints the above (you can manually print a traceback in
Python) -- getmail has one, too.  However, TMDA should exit nonzero if it does
this.  If it exits zero, there's no way for the invoking program to know
something went wrong.

Charles