List:       geronimo-user
Subject:    Deploy to a non-running server - how?
From:       Juergen Weber <weberjn () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-28 17:12:51

Hi,

we'd like to have a script-controlled deployment of the server and some
applications. We could create a custom server assembly (including a plugin
consisting of our application) and copy the resulting archive onto the
target machine.

But what if we'd like to keep our application archive separate from the
server archive? Our scripted build-process results in an deployable archive
(which changes more often than the server assembly).
So, the server assembly should go once to the target machine, but each new
application version will be copied onto the target machine at night without
the server running.
Will it be as simple as copying the application archive to the right places
(which ones?), removing the old archive (where from?) and adding a new
module entry to config.xml (e.g. using the ant XMLTask)?

If that doesn't work, we'd have to leave the server running and deploy the
application using deploy.sh

Thanks for your suggestions,
Juergen