List:       geronimo-user
Subject:    Re: AW: Still remaining problems using openJPA
From:       David Jencks <david_jencks () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-07-25 14:18:56

On Jul 25, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Ueberbach, Michael wrote:

> Many thanks to all who answered.
>
> To the (minor) issue concerning the LIKE operator with ESCAPE clause:
> The MySQL version I use supports this kind of select. Using the
> appropriate property inside the persistance.xml (as Peter said) is
> an interesting hint (thanks). But this is a more static way of
> describing the case, I tried to do this dynamically.
>
> To answer the other questions:
>
> The MySQL database is created outside geronimo (by script). The
> database remains and will not be created again.
> The Geronimo database connection pool was deployed using the
> console (so I have no plan). Only the neccessary entries were made
> (name, driver class, connection details), all default values were
> accepted (except one: minimum size of pool was set to 1)
> The persistance.xml is the following:
> <persistence>
>     <persistence-unit name="StammdatenVerwaltung">
>         <description>Zugriff auf Stammdaten</description>
>
> <provider>org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl</
> provider>
>         <jta-data-source>MySQLPool</jta-data-source>
>         <non-jta-data-source>MySQLPool</non-jta-data-source>
>     </persistence-unit>
> </persistence>
>
> I compared three szenarios, always starting with both database and
> geronimo down:
>
> 1.
> Starting DB
> Starting Geronimo
> Client call --> Exception (Access denied for user
> 'geronimo'@'localhost' to database 'GERONIMO_DB')
> Stopping DB
> Starting DB
> Client call --> ok
>
> 2.
> Starting Geronimo
> Starting DB
> Client call --> Exception (Access denied for user
> 'geronimo'@'localhost' to database 'GERONIMO_DB')
> Stopping DB
> Starting DB
> Client call --> ok
>
> 3.
> Starting Geronimo
> Client call --> Exception (Unable to obtain physical connection to
> jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/geronimo_db)
> Starting DB
> Client call --> ok
>
> (Client call means call of session bean method fetching data from
> standalone java client)
>
> At the moment (for testing) I can live with this handling, but for
> productive purposes this would be a problem.

The only thing unusual in this is that you have set the pool min size
to 1 rather than 0.  IIRC this means that the first connection in the
pool will have been created without a client request for a
connection.  This is the connection that is causing the problems.
Could you see what happens if you set the min size to 0?  If that
fixes the problem please file a jira issue with the details above, it
means that the "min size" connections aren't getting created correctly.

many thanks!
david jencks