List:       geronimo-user
Subject:    Re: JAR in Geronimo overrides JAR in WAR
From:       solprovider () apache ! org
Date:       2007-06-13 21:15:44

AFAIK, the endorsed directory was Sun's way of stating these libraries
are based on external standards and may be overwritten because you
cannot blame any problems on Sun.  The org.xml.sax... classes are in
the Sun's rt.jar.  The upgraded classes must be in an endorsed
directory to replace rt.jar's classes.

The Cocoon WAR is built with all JARS in the WEB-INF/lib; the endorsed
libs are moved to the lib directory.
cocoon.war\WEB-INF\lib\xml-apis-1.3.04.jar was ignored.

I cannot find a method for a WAR to specify using the endorsed
directory.  This should be standard functionality.  Tomcat seems to
have deliberately excluded the WAR's endorsed directory when loading
classes:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

The implementation would be easy so someone must have deliberately
decided that web apps would never need to control their endorsed
classes.

solprovider