List:       geronimo-dev
Subject:    Using Static IP as address attribute for Network Listener
From:       nito <brandonw () tridexsys ! com>
Date:       2015-04-30 19:53:02

I have a RedHat 5.6 server that has two NIC's (eth0/192.168.1.1 and
eth1/192.168.1.2). I want to have two separate installs of geronimo using
one specific NIC only.

Install1
/opt/apache/geronimo-2.2.0
HTTP-192.168.1.1:80
HTTPS-192.168.1.1:443
RMI-192.168.1.1:1099
AJP-192.168.1.1:8099
JMX-192.168.1.1:9999

Install2
/opt/apache2/geronimo-2.2.0
HTTP-192.168.1.2:80
HTTPS-192.168.1.2:443
RMI-192.168.1.2:1099
AJP-192.168.1.1:8099
JMX-192.168.1.2:9999

<http://apache-geronimo.328035.n3.nabble.com/file/n3988990/ListeningPorts.jpg>
I was able to get the RMI and JMX ports binded to the IP, via the
'ServerHostname=' attribute.

I started up a default instance and logged in the Geronimo Server Console.
Open Web Server > click 'Edit' on a BIO HTTP Connector > Add IP to
'*address' attribute > Save. Upon start up, I received the below error.

956 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean is now in the
FAILED state:
abstractName="org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.2/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.2/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=TomcatWebConnector"

org.apache.xbean.recipe.ConstructionException: Invalid and non-convertable
constructor parameter type: name=host, index=2, expected=java.lang.String,
actual=java.net.Inet4Address
Full Error Message
<http://apache-geronimo.328035.n3.nabble.com/file/n3988990/geronimo-log.txt>

I attempted to use the short-hostname and fqdn for the address attribute,
and receive the same error message. Below is my /etc/hosts.

/etc/hosts/
127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain      localhost
> > 1             localhost6.localdomain6  localhost6
192.168.1.1 install1.company.net      install1
192.168.1.2 install2.company.net      install2

I have ensured to remove all use of the IP and use the short-hostname or
fqdn, with the same results. At this point it appears that with the BIO
HTTP, BIO HTTP, and AJP ports, you can only bind to 0.0.0.0 or localhost.
Given the desscription, I would assume static ip or hostname would work.