List:       geronimo-dev
Subject:    Re: openejpa mapping char to int again....
From:       Kevan Miller <kevan.miller () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-06-30 12:00:14

On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:32 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> Back in April 2007 I ran into this problem:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-221
>
> and just ran into it again in the tck.
>
> There's a char field in a jpa data object and somehow openjpa is mapping the char \
> 'a' to the string "97" rather than the CHAR 'a' or the integer 97.
> Apparently the fix is to configure openjpa with      <property \
> name="openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary" value="StoreCharsAsNumbers=false"/> but I can't \
> find any evidence geronimo was configured this way, either by default or in the tck \
> configuration.
> Unfortunately I can't figure out what I did to solve this last time.  Anyone have \
> any recollection or ideas?

Hmm. Was the old "fix" to set the DBDictionary to OpenJPA's DerbyDictionary? i.e. \
setting openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary=org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.DerbyDictionary in the \
PersistenceUnitBulder GBean for the tck configuration?

You made that change in TCK revision # 2289 on May 3, 2007. So, the dates seem to \
work out. From what I see StoreCharsAsNumbers should be false for the OpenJPA \
dictionaries for DB2/Derby. So, there may have been other OpenJPA fixes (not via your \
Jira) that were required to make this work...

--kevan