List:       geos-devel
Subject:    Re: [geos-devel] PSC Vote: Host geos.osgeo.org on GH pages
From:       Howard Butler <howard () hobu ! co>
Date:       2021-08-24 18:56:41

> On Aug 24, 2021, at 11:22 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk@kbt.io> wrote:
>
> > One of the many advantages of the GDAL, PDAL, and PROJ documentation setup is we \
> > practically never have to mess with it. It just works. When it doesn't work, or \
> > when someone wants to make a documentation contribution, anyone can do so with a \
> > pull request and iterate until they succeed. No special access or special \
> > knowledge required.
>
> "It just works" is not true, GitHub breaks too.
> When it doesn't work, if it's GitHub we can only wait for them to fix
> it, if it's our machines, we can do something.

I will not volunteer to sleep next to the pager. GitHub has millions of customers \
which is good pressure for them to fix stuff pretty quick. Their downtime balanced \
against the true cost of maintaining all that ourselves is only close if you value \
your time at practically nothing.

When I mean "It just works," I mean the architecture and scaffolding based on GitHub \
Actions we've used for those projects works very well. We manage almost 3000 pages of \
docs using it with pretty much no ongoing support activity.

> About contribution: anyone could do pull requests and iterations on
> Gitea as well, access needed in both cases (in the Gitea case it would
> not be "special" as it would be the same one used to file tickets, in
> the github case it would be "extra" account).

Not really. https://id.osgeo.org/ldap/create is designed and managed to keep people \
out of the garden. Why can't OSGeo federate GitHub or other OpenID auth providers? \
Right now one must have that to start contributing, and a best case scenario at \
getting an id is probably a one day turn around. The impedance is purposely high to \
make it not worth waiting for an id response to provide the project my two line \
documentation spelling fix.

Whomever is doing the work, please steal the GDAL, PDAL, and PROJ setups if they can \
work for you. They've worked well for us.

Howard