List:       geos-devel
Subject:    Re: [geos-devel] GIT repo url updated
From:       Howard Butler <howard () hobu ! co>
Date:       2017-12-19 15:18:35

> On Dec 19, 2017, at 2:55 AM, Regina Obe <lr@pcorp.us> wrote:
>
> strk,
>
> I'm so proud of you.  You kept your cool and answered well.  I can't say I would \
> have handled Hobu's negativity as well. Looking forward to using gitea more.  \
> Thanks for all the hard work.

My negativity stems from arbitrary changes to infrastructure for little benefit and \
complete consternation for developers trying to use and depend upon GEOS. I'm also \
rage transferring anger about USE_UNSTABLE_GEOS_CPP_API to this topic, which feels \
just as arbitrary.

> Experimentation is very important to explore new avenues of working.
> We must not all follow the beat of the same drum for there lies the death of \
> creation.

Is that true for GEOS' code too, or just its infrastructure? GEOS doesn't really \
deviate at all from JTS for its API, and its C++ API was just marked as leprotic for \
reasons I still don't fully comprehend. Contributions that would change the API in \
ways that are incompatible or inconvenient with PostGIS are unwelcome.

Is GEOS a generic C++ geometry algebra library or is GEOS a support library for \
PostGIS that's coincidentally sometimes useful to outside software? I think the \
friction comes from the intractable tension between these two things, and it's maybe \
it is just time for me and my ilk who want the former to move on.

Howard