List:       geos-devel
Subject:    Re: [geos-devel] Holes in holes
From:       strk <strk () keybit ! net>
Date:       2009-11-27 17:31:42

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 02:47:17AM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I have another remotely related question, that concerns the direction of
> a polygon ring (CW or CCW). When I create a polygon with the
> createPolygon factory method and pass it a number of rings, do I have to
> take care that they spin in the right direction, or will GEOS make sure
> that a correct polygon is created?

The createPolygon method takes an explicit shell and a list of holes.
You don't need to care about direction.

GEOS won't check validity automatic.
Use Geometry::isValid() if you want to check that.
Any ring direction is OGC valid.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!