List:       gentooppc-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Problem getting started with gentoo.
From:       ds9 <milter () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-04-14 16:53:15

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:35:36AM +0200, Daniele Florio wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Should I be booting with the default G4?
>
> Yes, the G3 kernel is not avaiable on the 2004.0 universal. I've
> installed Gentoo on my G3 800 iBook and everything was ok.

=> There is a fixed ISO offering a working G3 select choice on
http://www.metadistribution.org/gentoo/2004.0/ .
But with the ISO on most mirrors the G4 choice is to be used as
there is a small typo with thee G3 choice.

> > When I try running /sbin/ifconfig it only shows "lo" configuration.
> > I was unable to find "net-setup" referenced in the on-line manual.
>

> You have to load the module "sungem" with 'modprobe sungem'. After that
> you should be able to see eth0 with ifconfig.

=> Yes. I was too surprised to find out that there is no net-setup.
Maybe this command works only for some architectures (* can the
manual be fixed accordingly ? *)

I've managed to install Gentoo on an external firewire disk
plugged to my ibook 700Mhz 2001 late ed. The only thing
missing is to make yaboot load my kernel.
See :
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=116380&start=25

I would appreciate in making it work - I plan to contribute
to Gentoo if I can run it :-)

Regards,

SL/
--