List:       gentooppc-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-ppc-dev] New ppc-sources ebuild
From:       Kevyn Shortell <trance () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-09-17 10:45:29

Hi ppc folks,

In an attempt to keep ppc-sources alittle more in line with the rest of
the ppc community we're going to move ppc-sources to a stable benh tree
as it offers better support for newer hardware than the other ppc trees
as well as additional features.

What does this mean for you? For most people you'll have the same level
of support that the old ppc-sources kernels have had, for laptop people,
you'll have some additional features available to you. For people with
new just released hardware, ppc-sources used to not work for you... With
this change we hope to make ppc-sources a stable tree for most if not
all hardware, and leave ppc-sources-dev for the cutting edge kernel
features.

I've submitted ppc-sources.2.4.22-r1.ebuild to the gentoo cvs. It should
hit the mirrors within a few hours. It has been tagged as ~ppc, so if
your interested in trying it out, and already have your keywords set to
accept ~ppc, emerge rsync, and then emerge -up ppc-sources and you
should see it.

If you test the kernel please and run into any issues please let me know
by email, trance@gentoo.org or via irc, I'd need to know what hardware
your running it on, and any errors that occured. Please keep in mind
however I'm only interested in kernel errors that occured from a running
kernel, not I'm having issues getting the kernel built, Those can be
worked out via #gentoo-ppc, thanks =3D)

trance