List:       gentooppc-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentooppc-dev] sound and kde
From:       Mark Guertin <gerk () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-08-28 23:09:08

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 14:51, Ernst Persson wrote:
> First I would just like to say that kdebas'e-3.1-beta and
> kdegraphics-3.1-beta compile just fine on PPC, kdemultimedia-3.1-beta
> does not...

Could you file a bug on this at bugs.gentoo.org?  Preferably with a config.log
if possible, I think this may be a bug we saw before.  Also note which
compiler you are using.

> Second, I have a really wierd sound problem. First I tried with alsa,
> and everytime i tried to load the snd-powermac module my computer
> crashed, really hard, no panic, just dead...
> That is with ebuild alsa-driver-0.9.0-rc2 and the alsa-driver-0.9.0-rc3
> from www.alsa-project.org and cvs-export-2002-08-28.
>
> But, I can't get any sound output with dmasound either! Not when it's
> compiled as a module, and not when it's compiled into the kernel.
> dmasound has allways worked on all the different linux distributions I
> tried... KMix finds the mixer but, no sound...
>
> Mabye it's a problem with the soundcore in the ppc-sources?
>
> Btw, I have an iMac 266 and I'm currently using XFS for my filesystems...

There are 2 modules you need to load.  soundcore first, then the dmasound_pmac
module and you should be ok.

Also, the alsa drivers are problematic (from the vendor), other PPC distro
people have had similar problems as well :(

Mark