List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] How to find out all openrc dependencies?
From:       "J. Roeleveld" <joost () antarean ! org>
Date:       2024-04-14 16:40:17

On Sunday, 14 April 2024 10:24:54 CEST Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 April 2024 08:28:07 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:

<snipped>

> > > Our systems are certainly different, but I noticed this dependency on my
> > > localmount which is missing on yours:
> > >
> > > # /lib/rc/bin/rc-depend localmount
> > > sysfs devfs udev udev-trigger hwclock modules fsck root dmcrypt
> > > localmount
> > >
> > >                               ^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > Have you compared your system services which has this problem, with
> > > other
> > > systems of yours which can startup properly?
> >
> > Adding additional dependencies into the tree is more likely to cause
> > further issues. I am actually looking for how to quickly find out which
> > dependency is causing a circular dependency issue as the first time it
> > thinks it needs to start a service it fails. But the 2nd time it starts,
> > it goes correctly.
> >
> > I removed hwclock from ALL VMs as they don't actually have a hwclock.
> >
> > I did find out the actual cause of the problem through a lot of trial and
> > error,
>
> Out of curiosity - what was the cause of this?  I have only come across
> hwclock on my installations (not VMs).

The issue is related to how openrc handles the boot process. It first starts
everything in "boot" and then switches to whatever is set as default runlevel.

At some point, Gentoo devs found it useful to add multipath and zfs-import to
the boot-runlevel. This was not originally the case.
I consider it best that the boot-runlevel is kept as empty as possible and
have the user/admin add necessary stuff to it when needed.

I removed them from the boot runlevel and the issue has been resolved.

This was the last item on the list preventing correct parallel boot and my
server now boots in 8 minutes instead of the original 20.
It's still 8 because I need to add some tricks to reduce some of the
simultaneous stuff which will lead to timeout issues which actually make it
worse if left to defaults.

> > but this is not really useful in actually quickly finding the
> > problem. Being able to "simulate" the startup sequence for how OpenRC
> > wants
> > to do things would have simplified and sped up the entire process.
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> I enable the rc log and check how the various services try to start up,
> however the information provided is not always useful.

The rc.log is actually less useful then one would expect. It only logs the
same output I see on the terminal.
Unless there is an option to add additional information to the logs, like how
it determines what to start next?

--
Joost