List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Steam and NFS, Fix for anyone also effected
From:       Tsukasa Mcp_Reznor <mcp_reznor () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2024-04-08 20:41:17

So diskless clients and steam have had a bumpy road over the years, used to have to \
make a fakeflock.so to get around a locking bug.  Then awhile after that, I believe \
when Proton reached version 8+ there was a horrible 30+ seconds of idle waiting time \
added to every game before it even attempted to load.  The fix for that ended up \
being to mount a tmpfs over the runtime folder.

Since late January an update caused a new bug to appear, I've scoured everywhere many \
times over, and the only real info I ever found was a race condition existing that \
even very low latency networking would result in SteamWebHelper crashing with a \
popup, and all the choices did nothing.  So the only real choice was to either keep \
or leave the popup alone and steam would continue to load, but in a crappy state, no \
friends, no sharing games, etc.

I've tried many combinations and discovered a solution, you no longer need fakeflock \
or tmpfs.

1.emerge dev-util/vmtouch
2. start steam, let it get to the crash popup, and pick to close exit steam (only \
have to do this once so that all the files are unpacked into the correct locations) \
3. open your preferred terminal and cd /home/UserName/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64 \
4. vmtouch -L ./ (that locks the contents in RAM, for me around 1G of data 5. run \
steam, now it'll load much faster and not have any issues. 6. after steam loads you \
may control-C in the terminal vmtouch has the files locked in to let standard kernel \
memory management go back to doing its awesome job of caching what it actually needs \
to.

Game on my fellow Gentoo Gaming Enthusiasts