List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] How to synchronise between 2 locations
From:       Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 () gmx ! de>
Date:       2024-03-29 11:32:06

Am Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 09:26:33PM -0500 schrieb Grant Taylor:
> On 3/27/24 13:58, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi,
>
> > I am looking for a way to synchronise a filesystem between 2 servers. Changes
> > can occur on both sides which means I need to have it synchronise in both
> > directions.
>
> What sort of turn around time are you looking for?  seconds, minus, hours,
> longer?
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> I would wonder about using rsync.

Rsync can't handle file moves. Given:

> > Also, both servers are connected using a slow VPN link, which is why I can't
> > simply access files on the remote server.

it would be beneficial to conserve traffic as much as possible.

While you can use the -u flag to only overwrite if the source is newer than
the destination, AFAIK rsync can't detect if the destination has also been
altered since the last sync, so it might clobber important changes. That's
why sync tools use a metadata cache to remember last edit timestamps.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.