List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] How do I zap a specific area of a gnumeric spreadsheet page?
From:       Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 () gmx ! de>
Date:       2024-03-21 22:02:21

Am Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 05:46:31PM -0400 schrieb Walter Dnes:

>   The province of Ontario does weekly Covid data updates which I
> summarize and post on the DSLReports Canchat subforum, e.g.
> https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33854514-#google_vignette  Note the
> data gap in the pink and brown lines on the 3rd and 4th graphs.  That's
> actual missing data.  In the underlying spreadsheet page those gaps
> initially show up as zeros.  I manually blank out region B1258:C1299
> (i.e. 2023/09/09 to 2023/10/20) every week when I update so that it
> doesn't show up as zero hospitalizations.  How do I set up and execute a
> macro to to zap the contents of region B1258:C1299 on a page?

Why not make the alteration one step before -- in the CSV?
There are CSV abstraction tools like `q`, which gives you a SQL-like
interface to a csv file. Or you could write a quick transformer in python,
if you know the language a bit.

Pseudo code, as I haven't worked with csv in Python in a looong time:

import csv
with csv.open("input file", 'r') as A:
    with csv.open("output file", 'w') as B:
        for rownum, row in enumerate(A):
            if rownum >= 1258 or rownum <= 1299:
                # write a modified row which has columns B and C blanked
                B.write( [row[0] + ['', ''] + row[3:] )
            else:
                B.write(row)

>   Note that I have to first remove the previous week's file, because wget
> won't overwrite it, and skips the download altogether.

Maybe remove the -r from rm, just to peace of mind. Also, such minimalist
scripts that don't use bash features can be sh scripts instead. This
increases performance, as sh loads faster than bash. ;-)

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

It is not enough to have no opinion, you must also be unable to express it.