List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Python 3.11 USE flags being flipped on
From:       stefan11111 <stefan11111 () shitposting ! expert>
Date:       2023-12-27 0:59:40

On 2023-12-16 09:47, Martin Vaeth wrote:
> stefan11111@shitposting.expert <stefan11111@shitposting.expert> wrote:
>> I have done the migration to python 3.12.
>> The problem is that portage is pulling in python 3.11.
>
> A python version jump in gentoo is always a horrible work:
> Many ebuilds have not been updated and pull in unnecessarily
> python 3.11. If you use any of these packages, you need a patched
> version of them in your overlay.
>
> The list is not complete, even less if you have USE=python in
> some packages.
>
> The most notable package is www-client/firefox which is the only
> one which actually *needs* <python-3.12 - the others just have
> a broken dependency declaration.
>

> app-crypt/gcr
> app-portage/gverify
> app-portage/mirrorselect
> app-portage/overlint
> app-text/iso-codes
> dev-cpp/atkmm
> dev-cpp/glibmm
> dev-cpp/pangomm
> dev-libs/glib
> dev-libs/gobject-introspection
> dev-libs/libevdev
> dev-libs/libinput
> dev-libs/jsoncpp
> dev-libs/newt
> dev-libs/zziplib
> dev-python/ssl-fetch
> dev-util/flawfinder
> dev-util/intel_clc
> gui-libs/gtk-layer-shell
> gui-libs/vte-common
> media-gfx/sane-backends
> media-libs/avidemux-plugins
> media-libs/fcft
> media-libs/gegl
> media-libs/graphene
> media-libs/libaom
> media-libs/libepoxy
> media-libs/libglvnd
> media-libs/libmypaint
> media-libs/mesa
> media-libs/opus
> net-libs/libmbim
> net-libs/nodejs
> sys-apps/merge-usr
> sys-boot/grub
> sys-process/htop
> www-client/firefox
> x11-libs/vte
> x11-themes/fvwm-crystal
> x11-wm/fvwm
> xfce-base/xfce4-settings
>
> Note also that for quite another number of packages you need the
> unstable version, because quite often the stable version
> (falsely) claims to require <python-3.12. These are at least
> (for xfcbe-base, it is actually only one ebuild, but updating
> this requires to have also the other updated or you might
> experience runtime errors):
>
> app-office/libreoffice
> app-office/libreoffice-l10n
> dev-cpp/libcmis
> dev-libs/gobject-introspection-common
> dev-libs/icu
> dev-python/pygobject
> dev-util/gdbus-codegen
> mail-client/claws-mail
> net-misc/networkmanager
> sys-process/systemd-cron
> x11-misc/redshift
> [...]
Finally got to adding patched ebuilds to my overlay.
Everything works so far.
This got me wondering though, is there no way to fix this globally
via make.conf instead of adding patched ebuilds to my overlay?
--
Linux-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-7400_CPU_@_3.00GHz

COMMON_FLAGS="-O3 -pipe -march=native -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math
-funswitch-loops -fuse-linker-plugin -flto -fdevirtualize-at-ltrans
-fno-plt -fno-semantic-interposition -fno-common -falign-functions=32
-fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize"

USE="-* git verify-sig rsync-verify man alsa X grub ssl ipv6 lto
libressl olde-gentoo asm native-symlinks threads jit jumbo-build minimal
strip system-man"

INSTALL_MASK="/etc/systemd /lib/systemd /usr/lib/systemd
/usr/lib/modules-load.d /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d *tmpfiles* /var/lib/dbus
/lib/udev /usr/share/icons /usr/share/applications
/usr/share/gtk-3.0/emoji /usr/lib64/palemoon/gtk2"