List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: alsamixer - no sound
From:       thelma () sys-concept ! com
Date:       2023-12-16 23:54:07

On 12/16/23 16:33, Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2023-12-16, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>
> > After recent upgrade I have no sound.
> >
> > Running as root:  alsamixer
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by
> > uid 1000! (This could e.g. happen if you try to connect to a non-root
> > PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
>
> What kind of audio config do you have? Is it expected to involve
> PulseAudio?
>
> What was upgraded?

I have sound!

But the scary thing is I don't know what fix it and running as user: alsamixer still \
does not allow me to save default sound card I select with F6.
I remember in the past the selection I selected with "F6" stayed as default, not this \
time!

I updated entire system, last time I did an update was sometime in July this year, so \
500+ were rebuild a day ago.

I think my system is using "alsasound" as I see it in rc-update show
but I see I have: "media-sound/pulseaudio" installed as well.

aplay -L  (show):

null
pulse
     PulseAudio Sound Server
upmix
     Plugin for channel upmix (4,6,8)
vdownmix
     Plugin for channel downmix (stereo) with a simple spacialization
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
     HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
     HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
     HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 3
     HDMI Audio Output
usbstream:CARD=NVidia
     HDA NVidia
     USB Stream Output
sysdefault:CARD=Generic
     HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog
     Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog
     Front output / input
surround21:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog
     2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog
surround41:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog
surround50:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog
surround51:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog
surround71:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog
iec958:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Digital
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
usbstream:CARD=Generic
     HD-Audio Generic
     USB Stream Output

I have: media-sound/alsa-utils  installed
but no configuration file:

/etc/asound.conf - Global (system wide) configuration file.
~/.asoundrc - Local (per user) configuration file.

Which package create the above configuration files?