List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: Python 3.11 USE flags being flipped on
From:       Martin Vaeth <martin () mvath ! de>
Date:       2023-12-16 9:47:50

stefan11111@shitposting.expert <stefan11111@shitposting.expert> wrote:
> I have done the migration to python 3.12.
> The problem is that portage is pulling in python 3.11.

A python version jump in gentoo is always a horrible work:
Many ebuilds have not been updated and pull in unnecessarily
python 3.11. If you use any of these packages, you need a patched
version of them in your overlay.

The list is not complete, even less if you have USE=python in
some packages.

The most notable package is www-client/firefox which is the only
one which actually *needs* <python-3.12 - the others just have
a broken dependency declaration.

app-crypt/gcr
app-portage/gverify
app-portage/mirrorselect
app-portage/overlint
app-text/iso-codes
dev-cpp/atkmm
dev-cpp/glibmm
dev-cpp/pangomm
dev-libs/glib
dev-libs/gobject-introspection
dev-libs/libevdev
dev-libs/libinput
dev-libs/jsoncpp
dev-libs/newt
dev-libs/zziplib
dev-python/ssl-fetch
dev-util/flawfinder
dev-util/intel_clc
gui-libs/gtk-layer-shell
gui-libs/vte-common
media-gfx/sane-backends
media-libs/avidemux-plugins
media-libs/fcft
media-libs/gegl
media-libs/graphene
media-libs/libaom
media-libs/libepoxy
media-libs/libglvnd
media-libs/libmypaint
media-libs/mesa
media-libs/opus
net-libs/libmbim
net-libs/nodejs
sys-apps/merge-usr
sys-boot/grub
sys-process/htop
www-client/firefox
x11-libs/vte
x11-themes/fvwm-crystal
x11-wm/fvwm
xfce-base/xfce4-settings

Note also that for quite another number of packages you need the
unstable version, because quite often the stable version
(falsely) claims to require <python-3.12. These are at least
(for xfcbe-base, it is actually only one ebuild, but updating
this requires to have also the other updated or you might
experience runtime errors):

app-office/libreoffice
app-office/libreoffice-l10n
dev-cpp/libcmis