List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Switching from desktop to desktop without function keys.
From:       Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 () gmx ! de>
Date:       2023-10-02 9:47:24

Am Sun, Oct 01, 2023 at 06:44:09PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
> Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> >> You can set up a key combination to switch one desktop to the right and
> >> another to switch one to the left. It's under Shortcuts, where you select
> >> KWin, then scroll the right-hand panel down to Walk through Desktop List,
> >> where I've put what used to be the default value: CTRL-ALT-right. Then down
> >> one to the next entry and enter CTRL-ALT-left. The defaults are left blank
> >> nowadays.
> > Also note that a good while ago Plasma switched from using the Alt key to
> > the Super key for everything Window-managerial. So these days, if you create
> > a new user from scratch, it's Ctrl+Super instead of Ctrl+Alt.
> >

> Looking at my keyboard, I have a key that looks like a Microsoft thing.
> It looks like a window that is moving and I think is sometimes called a
> Microsoft key and might be called the meta key in Linux.

Well, you see a window on it. It is the Windows key. ;-)
The Linux world uses the more general term Super key. I think some also use
Meta, but AFAIR there was also a Meta key on Solaris keyboards (labeled with
a diamond shape).

> I have another key only on
> the right side between the Ctrl and the flying window key that looks
> like a document with a mouse pointer on it.

That's the menu key. It calls up the context menu as if you clicked the
right mouse button. It seems to have gone out of fashion with some
manufacturers, especially on laptops and keyboards with a Fn key. Which is a
bummer, because it forced me to assign a key combo in X11 to emulate it
(Shift+Ctrl in my case). And this doesn't work in Wayland.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

I used to avoid work, today I could just watch for hours.