List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Password questions, looking for opinions. cryptsetup question too.
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-09-20 4:19:18

Michael wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 September 2023 06:36:13 BST Dale wrote:
>
>> Heck, a link to some good info on that would be good.  :-)
> https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/-/blob/main/FAQ.md
>
> https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/LUKS-standard/on-disk-fo=
rmat.pdf

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Data-at-rest_encryption

Oops.=C2=A0 Should have sent this in other message.=C2=A0

Interesting links.=C2=A0 Some of the info I'm clueless.=C2=A0 I don't kno=
w some of
the terms and what they mean.=C2=A0 Some of it I get tho.=C2=A0 Basically=
, despite
people wanting to encrypt to protect data, some powerful entities can
still crack it no matter how good the password or phrase is.=C2=A0 It see=
ms
encryption done 'on the fly' I think is the phrase they use is just very
hard to do without some serious CPU power or other tools.=C2=A0 Am I gett=
ing it?

I have a question tho.=C2=A0 Can a person use a password/pass phrase that=
 is
like this:=C2=A0 'This is a stupid pass phrase.' =C2=A0 Does it accept th=
at even
with spaces?=C2=A0 I know file names can have spaces for a long while now=
 but
way back, you couldn't do that easily.=C2=A0 One had to use dashes or
underscores.=C2=A0 Uses spaces could open a few options.=C2=A0

Dale

:-)=C2=A0 :-)=C2=A0