List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Password questions, looking for opinions. cryptsetup question too.
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-09-20 2:41:23

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I generate random passwords using dice.  First and last characters in
> passwords are letters that's arbitrary buys more time.  Those should have
> lengths over 13 and before the agency I used to work for went to
> smartcards and 256 character random passwords their last standard was 16
> characters with minimum two symbols minimum two numbers minimum two
> upper-case and minimum two lower-case.  No dictionary words or keyboard
> walking allowed.  Firewall piercing with laptops got used regularly by
> state actors and there is a firewall-piercing-howto file on the internet
> for anyone interested.
> The remaining characters first got their sets chosen.  A 1 on dice picked
> a number for that spot and a 6 picked a symbol.  Two or 3 picked an
> upper-case and 4 or 5 picked a lower-case.  Once the set spots got figured
> five dice got used for letters add the total and subtract 4 for the
> particular letter.  three dice got used for symbols with a single dice
> roll of either odd for first 16 symbols or even single dice roll for
> second 16 symbols.  Your choice as to put which 16 symbols in the even and
> odd sets those could be randomized.  Numbers used two dice with 2
> subtracted from total and a 2 rolled with the dice returned a 0.  Slow and
> necessary to write worksheet down as dice rolling proceeded and password
> needed writing down on completion.  Since I do most of my writing in
> braille I have a good encryption system I can encrypt further by using the
> old English braille instead of the American braille.  American braille has
> dot arrangement 123 down left side of cell for reading and 4 5 6 down
> right side of cell for reading.  English braille has 1 3 5 down the left
> side and 2 4 6 down the right side of the cell for reading.  Those are dot
> number arrangements.  Braille readers on this list I expect maybe only one
> other will understand what I just wrote.
>

> -- Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
> defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that
> order." Ed Howdershelt 1940.

It is interesting what people can come up with.  Thing is, if one uses a
true random generated password, they are hard to crack but also hard to
remember.  I try to come up with something that will be hard to crack
but easy for me to remember.  Thing is, I do have a few passwords to
keep up with.  I recently changed my root password.  I plan to change my
user password soon.  Then I have the password for Bitwarden.  Then I
have the password for the NAS, three external hard drives with different
passwords for each etc.  That's a lot to remember.  To be honest, it's
getting to be a bit much.  Associating one password to one item is also
difficult.  Unless one leaves clues.  Thing is, those clues reveal
things as well.

For websites, I really like Bitwarden.  I remember one password and it
can generate passwords for all the websites I use.  The passwords it
generates are pretty random.  For sites that don't allow symbols, I can
turn that off.  The big point, I only remember one password.  Thing is,
on one hand I need help remembering all these passwords.  On the other
hand, that is a risk itself.

This reminds me of a tennis ball.  It just goes back and forth.

Dale

:-)  :-)