List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Password questions, looking for opinions. cryptsetup question too.
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-09-19 11:22:56

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> another possibility is use of a dictionary.  Find a word in dictionary
> note page column and line.  Divide pages in dictionary by 2 and either add
> or subtract that number of pages to or from page word is found on then on
> the new page find the column and line for your actual password.  Of
> course, you write the first word you looked up down as your password and
> not the second word you just found you use for your real password.
>

> -- Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
> defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that
> order." Ed Howdershelt 1940.

I think I've seen that used for messages ages ago.  It's a way of
sending info that without knowing how to decode it and the same version
of dictionary, you have no idea what it says.  Just don't lose the book
you use.

The responses I'm getting sure are interesting.  Some I've seen but
never thought of using myself.  After all, it was a TV show, sometimes a
history documentary or something.  Reading about it here, it makes sense.

Oh, like the signature too.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)