List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] TrueNAS not helping me now.
From:       Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 () gmx ! de>
Date:       2023-09-06 23:14:59

Am Wed, Sep 06, 2023 at 02:45:11PM -0500 schrieb Dale:

> Oh, creating a
> vdev was the trick.   Once that is done, expand the pool.   It's one of
> those, once it is done, it seems easy.   ROFL

Note that people used to shoot themselves in the foot when lazily (or by
accident) adding a single disk to an existing pool. If that pool was
composed of RAID vdevs, then now they had a non-redundant single disk in
that pool and it was not possible to remove a vdev from a pool! That
single-disk vdev could only be converted to a mirror to at least get
redundancy back.

The only proper solution was to destroy the pool and start from scratch. By now there \
is a partial remedy, in that it is possible to remove mirror vdevs from a pool. But \
no RAIDs: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/solved-how-to-remove-vdev-from-zpool/192044/5
 https://arstechnica.com/civis/threads/performance-when-removing-zfs-vdevs-with-zpool-remove.1481148/post-40491873
 And you get some left-over metadata about the removed vdev.

> I guess vdev is like LVMs pv, physical volume I think it is.

Haven't we had this topic before? At least twice? Including the comparison between
the three layers of LVM with their equivalent in ZFS land. ;-)

ZFS is more meant for static setups, not constantly changing disk loadouts
of varying disk sizes.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

The boss is a human just like everyone else, he just doesn't know.