List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Migrate install from Intel 6th gen to AMD Zen 4
From:       Victor Ivanov <vic.m.ivanov () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-08-29 10:22:40

Hello,

I will soon be upgrading from a mobile Skylake platform to a desktop
Ryzen 7000 series and a full re-install is not an option unless all
else fails. I'm thinking of simply moving the drive and recompile as
necessary. I don't see why this wouldn't work, but wanted to double
check with the community just in case.

My existing make.conf has:

COMMON_FLAGS="-march=skylake -O2 -pipe"
CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 f16c fma3 mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt sse
sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3"

My current strategy is:
00) Recompile kernel to support AMD CPU (already done)
01) Upgrade @world to avoid later dependency problems (already done)
1) Replace "-march=skylake" with "x86_64[-v1|v2|v3|v4]" or just "generic"
2) Run "emerge -1aqv @system"
3) Move drive to new system and boot
4) Update to "-march=znver4"
5) Update CPU_FLAGS_X86 with output of "$ cpuid2cpuflags"
6) Run "emerge -1aqv @system"
7) Reboot (optional, just in case)
8) Run "emerge -1aqv --emptytree --keep-going @world"
9) Fingers crossed it all goes well

Am I missing anything critical that could break step (8) or any
packages I should include in step (2) in addition to @system to avoid
likelihood of segfaults?

Best Regards,
- V