List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Highlight certain packages being upgraded
From:       Neil Bothwick <neil () digimed ! co ! uk>
Date:       2023-07-14 7:30:18

On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 19:02:25 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Neil Bothwick wrote:

> >> Like Wol's idea, that's a extra step.   I was wanting it to just do it
> >> when running emerge -auDN world with no additional steps except
> >> creating the file for the package list.
> > That is the only extra step, unless you mean that you have to run
> > with -p to see the highlighted output. That takes a lot less time
> > than you have invested in this so far.
> >
> > Actually, I've checked and you can run this with --ask instead or -p,
> > so no extra steps involved. The only limitation is that you don't see
> > the Y/n prompt at the end of the ask output. Create an alias to the
> > command, or wrap it in a script that also runs the sed command first
> > and the number of extra steps becomes exactly zero.
> >

> And I have no clue how to do any of that.   Like I said, emerge just
> isn't ready for anything like this.   I was hoping there may be some
> option, config file or something that I can use to do this and it just
> work.   I think if there was such a thing, someone would have mentioned
> it long ago.   Maybe one day something like this will be added.   Then
> again, maybe not.

Just create the list of packages, copy and paste the commands and run the
emerge command I gave. You could add

alias myworld="emerge --options @world | sed -f /etc/portage/packages.script"

to your /etc/profile, then it's a one word command to get what you want.

--
Neil Bothwick

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.