List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Highlight certain packages being upgraded
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-07-13 7:16:13

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 13:10:17 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>>> Just about every program on this computer does more than I need. What
>>> counts is that they do all that I need :)
>>>
>>> Have you looked at using sed to add extra colour codes to the output
>>> of emerge?
>> I don't know anything about sed.  Heck, it took me a long to to even get
>> started with grep.  ROFL
> Try this:
>
> Create a file with the package atoms you want to highlight, one per
> line, say packages.txt. Then run this command, you'll need to rerun it
> each time you edit the packages list
>
> awk '{print "s:\\("$0"\\):\\x1b[1;31m\\1:"}' packages.txt
>> |packages.script
> Then run
>
> emerge --options @world -p --color y | sed -f packages.script
>
> It highlights any of the packages in your file in bright red. See
> https://gist.github.com/fnky/458719343aabd01cfb17a3a4f7296797 for a list
> of colour options.

Like Wol's idea, that's a extra step.  I was wanting it to just do it
when running emerge -auDN world with no additional steps except creating
the file for the package list.

As I mentioned in reply to Wol, I don't think my wish is quite ready for
prime time.  Some dev may read this and think it is a nifty idea tho.
It's possible I guess.

Dale

:-)  :-)