List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Highlight certain packages being upgraded
From:       Jack <ostroffjh () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2023-07-08 17:07:09

On 2023.07.08 13:02, Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 03:33:30 -0500, Dale wrote:
> >
> >> I was wondering.  Is there a way to highlight certain packages
> that are
> >> about to be upgraded?  Example, I like to know when some larger
> packages
> >> like Firefox, LOo, that excessively long qt package and a couple
> others
> >> are going to be upgraded.  Some that are listed in the world file
> show
> >> up in a darker green and are easier to see however, some are not.
> They
> >> are dependencies of another package but I'd like to have them
> stick out
> >> in the list of packages to be upgraded.  I don't recall ever seeing
> >> anyone mention this as a feature of emerge or heard of a way to
> >> configure such a thing either.  That said, it could be possible
> and just
> >> not well known.
> > If your objective is to update your system without the long build
> times,
> > put the atoms of the relevant packages in a file and run
> >
> > emerge --your-options --exclude "$(cat big-packages.txt)" @world
> >

> I'm just wanting certain packages to stand out more in the list emerge
> spits out.  Some require a lot of memory, some have long build times,
> some both of those and some require me to restart programs or do other
> things.  I already check the changes in USE flags but they stick out
> good since they are usually yellow or some other color.  I was curious
> if I could set colors for certain packages without reinventing the
> wheel.  While I don't recall hearing or seeing anything about it, I
> thought it might be possible I just hadn't heard about a feature that
> does this.
>
> Doesn't sound like there is a easy way to do this so I guess just
> looking at each package name is the way to go for now.
Using Neil's approach, you do the emerge with the excludes, so you know
there are no problem packages included.  Then you run it again, without
the excludes, and all/most of what shows up will be those big/long
packages.  No need to hunt through the first list, and the second list
will be much shorted and easier to review.  Yes, it would be nice if
portage gave you a way to visually flag certain packages, but it's not
currently an option.