List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] QMPlay2 single instance, want multiple.
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-06-17 3:16:24

Matt Connell wrote:
> On Wed, 2023-06-14 at 09:02 -0500, Dale wrote:
>> Gnome-player is about dead.  It got removed from the tree ages ago
>> but
>> until a recent upgrade, it still worked.  I been using QMPlay2 on
>> videos
>> that doesn't have the right codec thingy for Gnome-player.  So, I'm
>> kinda used to QMPlay2, except it doesn't close at the end of the
>> video.
>> Anyway, I went into settings and made sure to uncheck the box for
>> only
>> allowing a single instance.  That should allow multiple instances of
>> QMPlay2 but it doesn't.  If I click on a video file and QMPlay2 is
>> open
>> anywhere else, it starts playing where ever it was open, not even
>> where
>> I am at the moment.  It's bad enough I lose my place in another video
>> but I have to go look through a dozen or so desktops to find out
>> where
>> it is playing.
>>
> 100% _not_ what you asked, and you're probably tired of *this*
> question, but have you tried media-video/mpv?  mpv will play anything
> imaginable, it closes when the video ends, handles multiple instances
> without any touching, etc.

I've tried tons of different ones and QMPlay2 is the one I settled on.
I didn't realize it had this issue of only one instance, maybe it didn't
have this problem at the time, and the only thing I didn't like, it not
closing at the end.  Otherwise, it worked as I wanted out of the box
really.

I just tried mpv again.  I can't find the menu bar so I can adjust some
things.  It doesn't seem to have a preferences thing that I can find.
You know where they hide that thing?  Usually ctrl M I think makes the
menu bar appear but didn't work here.  It does look ok.  It plays the
videos I tried it on at least.  After all, most every player out there
is just a front end to mpv or ffmpeg type software anyway.

I didn't test multiple instance yet tho.  Sort of ran into the no menu
thing.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)