List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] file system for new machine
From:       Michael <confabulate () kintzios ! com>
Date:       2023-04-28 13:21:08

On Friday, 28 April 2023 13:54:37 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 28 April 2023 10:08:01 BST Philip Webb wrote:
> > 230428 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > >
> > > It depends: is this a UEFI machine?
> >
> > No, it isn't.  I await your recommendation with bated breath (smile).
>
> In that case I have nothing to add to others' suggestions; sorry.  :)

It used to be the case btrfs would suffer corruption if you ran out of space.
I don't know if this is the same today.  Anecdotally, I've run out of space
and the fs did not become corrupt on that partition.  It corrupted another
time though, but thankfully no significant data loss happened after I ran
btrfs scrub, followed by btrfs check.

Now I'm getting this warning on dmesg, but I have no idea what it means:

BTRFS warning (device sdb3): devid 1 physical 0 len 4194304 inside the
reserved space

and the same on 3 other partitions on the same disk.  :-/

NOTE:  I don't recall ever having problems with ext4, for many years now.