List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia-drivers fails to patch
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-21 8:58:11

Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 08:33:22PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
>
>> I cleared the tmp files to give it a fresh start.  It still failed.  The
>> directory and files it complains about being missing, they are.  I went
>> to the ebuild to see what patches are supposed to be installed.  This is
>> the part of the ebuild.
>>

>> PATCHES=(
>>     "${FILESDIR}"/nvidia-drivers-470.141.03-clang15.patch
>>     "${FILESDIR}"/nvidia-modprobe-390.141-uvm-perms.patch
>>     "${FILESDIR}"/nvidia-settings-390.144-desktop.patch
>>     "${FILESDIR}"/nvidia-settings-390.144-no-gtk2.patch
>>     "${FILESDIR}"/nvidia-settings-390.144-raw-ldflags.patch
>> )
>>

>> As you can see, it wants to apply patches from several versions so while
>> odd, I guess it really does it that way.  I suspect given the age of the
>> drivers that the patches no longer exist or something.  I'd think it
>> would report it couldn't download the files but maybe not.  I may be
>> running out of luck here.  Odd thing is, it compiled a while back.
> If I read your error output correctly, it’s not that the patch file is
> missing, but that a file that is mentioned inside the patch is.

Oh.  The output of emerge has always been sort of cryptic.  LOL  I just
hope nothing happens where I have to re-emerge it.  At this point, I'd
be in a pickle if the drivers failed and needed to be reinstalled.

I did a emerge -ef nvidia-drivers and it still fails.  I was hoping that
would pick up the needed files.  Guess not.  I decided to do some more
digging.  I noticed that the same version is still in the tree.  I
copied the ebuild a while back to a local overlay to make sure I don't
lose it.  It seems emerge gives my local overlay priority over the one
in the tree.  I renamed the ebuild in my overlay with .old tacked on.
It emerges fine after that since it uses the ebuild in the tree.  It
seems my overlay is broken somehow.  Likely a design improvement.  ;-)

I put my local ebuilds in /usr/local/portage.  Obviously emerge sees it
since it was trying to use it.  I don't understand why it doesn't work
tho.  I looked at the ebuild in the tree and my overlay, they look the
same, including the patches from different versions.

Now I need to figure out why the overlay version isn't working.  I've
had occasion to need older versions before, due to some bug or
something.  Gonna see if it builds against the new kernel now.  Let us
pray.

Always something.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)