List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Finally got a SSD drive to put my OS on
From:       Wol <antlists () youngman ! org ! uk>
Date:       2023-04-20 23:02:57

On 20/04/2023 05:23, Dale wrote:
> Some 1,100 directories, not sure if directories use inodes or not.

"Everything is a file".

A directory is just a data file with a certain structure that maps names
to inodes.

It might still be there somewhere - I can't imagine it's been deleted,
just forgotten - but I believe some editors (emacs probably) would let
you open that file, so you could rename files by editing the line that
defined them, you could unlink a file by deleting the line, etc etc.

Obviously a very dangerous mode, but Unix was always happy about handing
out powerful footguns willy nilly.

Cheers,
Wol