List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Finally got a SSD drive to put my OS on
From:       Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 () gmx ! de>
Date:       2023-04-20 8:55:13

Am Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 06:09:15PM -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > I wonder.  Is there a way to find out the smallest size file in a
> directory or sub directory, largest files, then maybe a average file
> size???  I thought about du but given the number of files I have here, it
> would be a really HUGE list of files.  Could take hours or more too.  This
> is what KDE properties shows.
>
> I'm sure there are more accurate ways but
>
> sudo ls -R / | wc

Number of directories (not accounting for symlinks):
find -type d | wc -l

Number of files (not accounting for symlinks):
find -type f | wc -l

> give you the number of lines returned from the ls command. It's not perfect
> as there are blank lines in the ls but it's a start.
>
> My desktop machine has about 2.2M files.
>
> Again, there are going to be folks who can tell you how to remove blank
> lines and other cruft but it's a start.

Or not produce them in the first place. ;-)

> Only takes a minute to run on my Ryzen 9 5950X. YMMV.

It's not a question of the processor, but of the storage device. And if your
cache, because the second run will probably not use the device at all.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Bosses are like timpani: the more hollow they are, the louder they sound.