List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: Finally got a SSD drive to put my OS on
From:       Nikos Chantziaras <realnc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-19 19:38:53

On 19/04/2023 22:26, Dale wrote:
> So for future reference, let it format with the default?  I'm also
> curious if when it creates the file system it will notice this and
> adjust automatically. It might.  Maybe?

AFAIK, SSDs will internally convert to 4096 in their firmware even if
they report a physical sector size of 512 through SMART. Just a
compatibility thing. So formatting with 4096 is fine and gets rid of the
internal conversion.

I believe Windows always uses 4096 by default and thus it's reasonable
to assume that most SSDs are aware of that.