List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] updating /boot directory EFI
From:       Mark Knecht <markknecht () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-17 17:38:51

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 10:11 AM Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 17 April 2023 17:52:25 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > One thing I haven't decoded is why Windows is 0000 and Kubuntu is 0003.
>
> See below ...
>

> > I now better understand Mitch D.'s point that the pointers to which OS
> > boot are not in a disk file, like the old grub configuration, but
rather in
> > Flash memory on the motherboard. I suppose the numbering is just the
> > luck of the draw, or that 0001 and 0002 were used at one time and no
longer
> > present, but that's just a guess.
>
> Exactly the latter, they are no longer present.  I copy kernel images
manually
> to /boot/EFI/Gentoo/ and run 'efibootmgr --create' to add entries to the
UEFI
> boot menu with my choice of labels.  They are added being numbered
> incrementally.  If I remove some of the older menu entries, their
> corresponding numbers are also removed and become available for any new
> bootable .efi images I may add in the future.
>
> In addition, if I boot with any USB drives attached, the UEFI firmware
will
> scan such devices and add any bootable images to the UEFI boot menu
stored in
> NVRAM, by numbering such images incrementally.  This will further
increase the
> numbers of boot menu entries, which once the USB devices are removed their
> entry number will become vacant and available to be reallocated.

Ah, so in that case if I booted the original Kubuntu install from a USB
stick
then possibly an entry was used doing that. I also used memtest86 prior
to the Kubuntu install so possibly that was an entry.

Anyway, it makes more sense now.

If you go back into the archives for this list, list December I asked a
question
"Duel boot - How to verify boot loader updates?". That was maybe a month
or two after I noticed the Kubuntu ESP being changed and the Windows
ESP being mounted instead. I just never finished the thread what with the
holidays and visitors, etc.

I appreciate the help so thanks and maybe the thread will help someone
else one of these days.

Cheers,
Mark