List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] updating /boot directory EFI
From:       "Mitch D." <futurehypoon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-16 19:11:48

There is a catch related to using EFI without a conventional bootloader. If
you want your boot menu to include details such as kernel versions, then it
would be necessary to run efibootmgr every time you update the kernel. I'm
not sure if the EFI variable storage is resilient to repeated writes, so
this could be dangerous. The alternative is to have a couple generic EFI
boot entries, such as "Gentoo" and "Gentoo (Old Kernel)", which point to
consistent paths, then you replace the kernel at those paths without
needing to update the boot entry each time.

A minimal EFI bootloader can show an updated menu for the new kernels
without needing to make regular writes to the EFI variable storage. I
didn't know Grub was deprecated, but there are other options. rEFInd is
pretty. Syslinux is flexible.

It's probably not a huge issue, but I doubt the EFI data chip on the
motherboard has been chosen for its write endurance.