List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] updating /boot directory EFI
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-16 15:35:19

Lee K wrote:
> Also, learn how to boot a kernel from the grub cli, and keep a printed
> version of these instructions in a handy place. This has saved my butt
> countless times. :)

OP:  I can't agree more.  Just a couple weeks ago, my system wouldn't
boot except to a rescue thingy.  I had to boot another media, mount
everything, do some changes and reboot.  If I didn't have notes, it
would have been a nightmare.  Keep in mind, I have a LOT of drives.  I
try to keep the OS on sda at all times tho.  It's a good start.  Given I
just rearranged to add a SSD drive, I'm updating my notes, again.  Also,
keep a known working bootable media available.  It's best to have both a
CD/DVD and a USB stick.

Always, ALWAYS, have up to date notes on drives, especially those you
would need to boot something else and fix a unbootable system.  Best
advice you may ever get along with having something else to boot from.

Dale

:-)  :-)