List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
From:       Mark Knecht <markknecht () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-21 16:58:38

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 9:11 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  They always worked great using the NVidia blob drivers, but
> using NVidia drivers was a constant source of minor pain. Often kernel
> updates had to be postponed until NVidia driver support caught up, and
> they too dropped support and forced me to replace a board that was
> still working perfectly.

The "waiting to catch up issue" is the reason I switched to the LTS
kernels. If the kernel got a minor bump the NVidia drivers still worked.

When a new LTS kernel came out NVidia would have a new driver
almost immediately and through the life of that LTS kernel I got
easy kernel updates and easy NVidia driver updates.

I don't personally remember NVidia ever dropping a card totally
but I did get confused for awhile when they started segmenting their
drivers by different families and it was up to me to figure out which
driver package handled my card.

- Mark