List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
From:       Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-21 16:11:13

On 2022-11-21, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did re-emerge the nvidia drivers for the old kernel. [...]
>
> If I get bored, and it warms up a little, I may build a 5.19 kernel.
> Thing is, by the time I get around to rebooting, nvidia may have updated
> and the new one I already got will work.  :/

About 15 years ago, after a bad experience with ATI dropping Linux
driver support for a card that was only a year old (and no luck
getting the open source driver to work reliably), I switched to NVidia
(mostly Qaudro cards -- fanless until that ceased to be an
option). They always worked great using the NVidia blob drivers, but
using NVidia drivers was a constant source of minor pain. Often kernel
updates had to be postponed until NVidia driver support caught up, and
they too dropped support and forced me to replace a board that was
still working perfectly.

Eventually, I just gave up and started using built-in Intel
graphics. Life was much easier. A high-end gamer probably wouldn't be
happy, but my mid-range mainboard happily drove three decent-sized
displays (two DVI and one DP) at their native resolutions. I find the
same to be true on my newer AMD system with built-in Radeon Vega
graphics. It too "just works" with the in-kernel-tree support and
open-source Xorg drivers.

I did have to give up the option of having multiple X11 screens. The
proprietary NVidia driver supported multiple screens, but the drivers
for built-in Intel and Radeon drivers don't seem to.

--
Grant