List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-15 0:10:25

Michael wrote:
> On Monday, 14 November 2022 21:05:57 GMT Dale wrote:
>
>> Thing is, I may go a year, sometimes more, without updating the kernel.
>> If I rebooted often, I could see using a LTS kernel.  If a kernel can
>> run for months with no problems, it's stable enough for me.  Plus my
>> hardware works.
> Keeping the same kernel running for long periods can leave you exposed to
> security vulnerabilities.  Either stable or LTS kernels will be similarly
> exposed, if their latest backported versions are not booted with.  I
> appreciate you're not running a public server so your profile is not as much
> at risk, but bad code in some application which hasn't been patched up could
> still leave you exposed.
>

>> I have even built a kernel but never actually booted it.  By the time I
>> get around to rebooting, I've had to build another kernel.  I generally
>> always work from a known stable config tho.  The only reason I wouldn't
>> is if I build a new system and have to start from scratch.  I've also
>> had times when I had to update because my video drivers wouldn't build
>> with a older kernel version that I'm running.  That doesn't happen to
>> often but I recall running into that at least once.
> Shutting down your desktop applications and rebooting with a new kernel takes
> no longer than a couple of minutes.  I mean even busy bank customer web
> portals have planned downtime.

That may be true.  I used to not mind rebooting as much but since I
started having to use the init thingy, I only do it when really
necessary.  Those init thingys have left a long term bad taste in my
mouth.  If I could, I'd likely never reboot.  Thing is, sometimes I have
a power outage and just have too.

The other thing, my computer is my entertainment system as well.  My TV
runs close to 24/7.  I may pause a video if I'm outside or something but
other than that, it is playing something about all the time.  I do go to
town each Thursday morning to get my shots and pick up groceries.
Because of my lengthy time between trips anywhere, I put a trickle
charger on my car.  Sitting for a week wasn't doing the battery any good.

Another reason my system runs even if I'm not home, downloading of
files.  I'm almost always downloading something.  It's how I entertain
myself after all.  ;-)  Basically, this system is busy doing things,
multiple things, almost all the time.

>> Either way, biggest question was if there was some known breakage
>> between my old version and a newer version.  Maybe the one I tried just
>> had some weird problem that only affected me or I just missed something
>> during the oldconfig.  I wish I could recall the error.  Who knows on
>> that.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> Did you diff your current good kernel .config and the new failed to boot
> kernel .config, to find out what options/modules have changed.  Besides any
> booting errors, this could point you to something which was missed in the new
> kernel, or perhaps shouldn't have been configured.  That's how I go about
> finding the cause of a non-booting kernel in the rare occasions I end up with
> a lemon.

I tried to boot with new kernel, saw the error, rebooted into a older
kernel and carried on.  That was several months ago so no clue what the
error was.

Dale

:-)  :-)