List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    RE: [gentoo-user] Re: e2fsck -c when bad blocks are in existing file?
From:       Laurence Perkins <lperkins () openeye ! net>
Date:       2022-11-14 16:37:48

Multiply-allocated blocks won't cause an error by themselves.  They can just cause \
strange and unexpected munging of your data if two files are scribbling on the same \
patch of disk.  So if you leave it allocated to both then you can use a more \
intelligent tool to either coax one more read out of it or potentially replace the \
lost data with some substitute.

I'm not sure what fsck will do with a read error while cloning the block since my \
test "disk" wasn't actually bad.  Presumably fill the bad section with nulls.

LMP